VMware Cloud Community
gchavy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere Replication Appliance registration returns the code null

Hi all,

I have a strange result, while trying to register a vSphere Replication Appliance in a vCenter.

Everything works well (DNS resolve of the vCenter, certificate acknowledgement with warnig as it is a self-signed one generated by the appliance...), but at the very last moment, after one or two minutes while idications "saving configuration" a "null" error message comes, and I can't figure where is the problem.

One can find a screen capture of the error attached to this message.

If anybody has a clue, it would be great (I have already looked at the ntp servers, and both vCenter and Replication appliance are on the same time zone)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@gchavy1 ,

Thank you for sharing these details.

Please use vSphere replication 8.1 or later versions. VR 6.5.1 and 6.5 are only compatible with vCenter 6.5 U1 and 6.5 GA respectively.

Please refer interoperability matrices here for compatibility --> vCenter and VR interoperability matrices  (Attached screenshot for reference)

Note: Always remember to share product versions when raising a concern/issue. It always helps

Hope that helps

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@gchavy1 

Moderator: Please try and create a thread in the area for the product used - moved to vSphere Replication Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
gchavy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for that, I'll pay more attention next time. thanx !

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @gchavy1 ,

1. What is the version of vCenter and vSphere replication appliance ?

2. Please login to console of vCenter and VR appliance --> Run date command and ensure time difference is not more than 30 seconds

3. Copy of hms logs located at /opt/vmware/hms/logs

0 Kudos
gchavy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi !

VCenter is 6.7, and I tried the vSphere Appliance 6.5.1 and 6.5.0 ad far as the hosts whose VMs we want to replicate are running under ESXi 6.5.0.

I don't know why vCenter 6.7 has been installed, it is a "legacy" infrastructure I'm discovering.

vSphere Appliance 6.5.1 returned the code "null" when trying to save the configuration, and the 6.5.0 does not even want to start and returns the error : "impossible to initialize the "vami.searchpath.vSphere_Replication_Appliance" propriety beacause the network "[name the network used by the appliance]" has no network protocol profile associated (translation from french).

I'll check the date difference and verify is there is a problem here

I'll copy the hms logs asap too.

Thanks for yout kind answer, and have a good day 🙂

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@gchavy1 ,

Thank you for sharing these details.

Please use vSphere replication 8.1 or later versions. VR 6.5.1 and 6.5 are only compatible with vCenter 6.5 U1 and 6.5 GA respectively.

Please refer interoperability matrices here for compatibility --> vCenter and VR interoperability matrices  (Attached screenshot for reference)

Note: Always remember to share product versions when raising a concern/issue. It always helps

Hope that helps

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem

0 Kudos
gchavy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello there,

thank fou for this answer, I will continue my tests with the 8.3.1 version of the appliance, and will be back with further informations as soon as they become available.

Again, thank you very much for that answer.

0 Kudos
gchavy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is an error, that seems to be relative to a defaut in sso authentication. Am I right? I used an administrator account, but it seems that this account may not have full administrator privileges, although it has the role "Administrator".

I joined the last error message obtained while clicing on Save and Restart Service (Network settings are OK).

vSphere Client 6.7.0.20000
vSphere Replication Appliance 8.3.1.10474 Build 17210339

0 Kudos
gchavy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After everything set correctly (the "root" administrator user and the correct appliance version), the Appliance installed fine. Thank you very much !

0 Kudos