VMware Cloud Community
sybux201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere Replication 5.8 and 6

Hello,

I'm running a vCenter 6 on a site and my secondary site a vCenter 5.5

I'd like to know if I can connect them with vSphere replication. I know vrm 6 is not compatible with vcenter 5.5 and vrm 5.8 is not compatible with vcenter 6

But are vrm 5.8 compatible with vrm 6 ?

Thx in advance for answer.

Cyril

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattiasN81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The only supported way is to upgrade your seconday vcenter to 6.0 and then upgrade your VRM on that site to 6.0/6.1

* vSphere Replication 5.8 only supports vCenter server 5.1 up to 5.5

* vSphere Replication 6.0/6.1 only support vCenter Server 6

* vCenter Server 6.0 Update 1 only supports vSphere Replication 6.1

I have only seen problems when leaving one VRM on a older version, replication failures, dropped connections between the VRMs and so on, i dont think VMware even support mixed VRM versions.

VMware Certified Professional 6 - DCV VMware VTSP Software Defined Storage Dell Blade Server Solutions - EMEA Certified Dell PowerEdge Server Solutions - EMEA Certfied Dell Certified Storage Deployment Professional Dell EMC Proven Professional If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Helpful or Correct

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

VRMS versions must match at source site and target site. For example VRMS 1.0.x <-> VRMS 1.0.x, 5.1.x <-> 5.1.x, 5.5.x <-> 5.5.x, 5.6.x <-> 5.6.x, 5.8.x <-> 5.8.x. 6.0.x should be able to work with 6.0.x and also 6.1.x, but I'm not sure about official tests for 6.0.x <-> 6.1.x.

The above is in the case of vCenter to vCenter replications. For vCloud Air DRaaS service - any VRMS 5.6.x or up will work with whatever vCloud Air DRaaS is at the cloud site (with functionality limited to what is available in the respective versions).

Regards,

Martin

MattiasN81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The only supported way is to upgrade your seconday vcenter to 6.0 and then upgrade your VRM on that site to 6.0/6.1

* vSphere Replication 5.8 only supports vCenter server 5.1 up to 5.5

* vSphere Replication 6.0/6.1 only support vCenter Server 6

* vCenter Server 6.0 Update 1 only supports vSphere Replication 6.1

I have only seen problems when leaving one VRM on a older version, replication failures, dropped connections between the VRMs and so on, i dont think VMware even support mixed VRM versions.

VMware Certified Professional 6 - DCV VMware VTSP Software Defined Storage Dell Blade Server Solutions - EMEA Certified Dell PowerEdge Server Solutions - EMEA Certfied Dell Certified Storage Deployment Professional Dell EMC Proven Professional If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Helpful or Correct
0 Kudos