VMware Cloud Community
wayneoakley-msi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

replicator 5.1 - permission to perform this operation was denied

vreplicator 5.1 standalone recently installed and working for 49 virtual machines.

had an issue with the san and some rapid relocation of virtual machines to alternate storage.

along the way had the need to move the vreplicator appliance vm, tried to start it on the new host in the new location, it did start but had some issues it would seem because it could no longer see any sites.

eventually moved it back to the original location and after a couple of reboots it found the site.  but 3 of the vm's are in Not Active (RPO Violation) and have this message when i try to do anything, several others were marked as error but a reconfigure seemed fix them up.  except for one which is still in error after the reconfigure.

have not been able to find much on this error, certainly nothing for a single site replication.

so does anybody happen to have any suggestions on something to try or pointers to additional information??

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

By moving the VR appliance VM, do you mean removing it from the vCenter Server inventory and adding it back (or removing its host from the inventory and adding it back) ?

If yes - that destroys the OVF environment for the VR appliance in vCenter Server database and might later affect the VR appliance extension login to vCenter Server.

Similar issue might occur if the VM is powered on through client connected directly to the host, not to vCenter Server. In that case the OVF environment would appear to be missing, but power off of the appliance and power on through client connected to vCenter Server will bring it back.

Can you check if you right click on the VR appliance VM, select "Edit Settings -> vApp Options -> OVF settings" and try to view the OVF environment, that there is some XML file? If yes - the OVF environment seems to be there and you are experiencing another issue.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
wayneoakley-msi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The vm was shutdown and migrated using vcenter from one cluster to another.

Moved it back the same way.

Checked the ovf environment and it looks ok, at least nothing missing or incorrect.

This does bring up an issue as to What is the method of moving this appliance? I do need to move this appliance to a new cluster without recreating the whole thing.

Secondary to this, I am planning to replace the virtual center which I assume will destroy the ovf environment as well, if so how do I recover it without having to rebuild everything?

0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Moving the VR appliance with vMotion / svMotion within the same vCenter Server inventory should be fine.

Please file an SR and upload VR support bundle, so that we can troubleshoot the permissions issue.

VRM server is an extension to vCenter Server. If the host running the VRM server is removed from the vCenter Server inventory and added to another vCenter Server - the OVF environment is lost, also vCenter managed object id values for datastores, VMs, hosts and other are changed. Basically a new vCenter Server requires new VR appliance deployment + replication configuration. The already replicated disks can be used as initial copies, however, the configuration for each replication needs to be repeated.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
wayneoakley-msi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Martin.

It was moving within the same vcenter just crossed clusters to a new host.

I will try moving it again and see what happens.

The other issue is still there where 3 of the replication jobs are stuck and nothing can be done with them as all functions get the permissions error.

I am having a vc problem at the moment where a live vmotion between hosts gets stuck at 65%. The vmotion typically takes a few minutes but leaving them for 24+hrs never sees them complete. Doing an svmotion gets the same error when changing datastores. The only fix I have at this time is to reboot the vc and then cleanup afterwards. So it looks like the appliance will have to be reinstalled afterwards, at least I will get to test the seeding option.

One other odd thing happened with replication. I stopped a replication job, which took quite a long time, I checked on the datastore to find the folder and files still present, tried a delete on the files and it failed indicating they were still locked.

I had not expected the job to be delete when the task was stopped (not active at the time) but since it did delete it I would expect the folder on the target datastore to disappear, also found it odd that the files are locked and cannot be deleted.

0 Kudos