VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

can send incoming and oucomming traffic from different ports?

Dear All

Hi

i have a question about vsphere replication ip in replication document write this :

The IP address that is used for vSphere Replication management traffic is localhost 127.0.0.1. Because the

default VM network adapter is used for different types of traffic, you can add a second adapter to the

appliance, and configure vSphere Replication to use the second adapter only for incoming replication traffic.

now my main question is can i add second NIC to vsphere replication machine ? and if can add   can i say send incoming traffic from VMNIC1 and send outcomming traffic from VMNIC2 ? how can do this ?

BR

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

For details about isolating traffic in VR see: VMware vSphere Replication 6.1 Documentation Center

To answer your questions:

- Yes

- (from the documentation)

By default, the vSphere Replication appliance has one VM network adapter that is used for various traffic types.

Management traffic between vSphere Replication Management Server and vSphere Replication Server.

Replication traffic from the source ESXi hosts to the vSphere Replication Server.

Traffic between vCenter Server and vSphere Replication Management Server.

You can add network adapters to the vSphere Replication appliance and use the VAMI to configure a separate IP address to use for each traffic type.

In the combined vSphere Replication appliance, the IP address that is used for management traffic between the vSphere Replication Management Server and vSphere Replication Server is localhost 127.0.0.1. Therefore, you do not need to add network adapters for this type of traffic.

When the vSphere Replication Management Server and the vSphere Replication Server run on separate appliances, you can specify a non-localhost IP address to be used by the vSphere Replication Management Server.

Keep in mind how traffic flows when using VR as there really isn't "incomming" and "outgoing" traffic, as highlighted above there is Incoming replication traffic and management traffic. The documentation walks through how to add an additional vmk to hosts and an interface to the VR appliance and how to utilize them.

0 Kudos