VMware Cloud Community
OskiPL
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere replication, Rpo violation when source disk near full

Vsphere replication 8.1.2

Vcenter 6.7.0.42000

Hello,

Why I always have RPO violation when my source virtual disk on machine is near full?

Source and target datastore have space, so i dont understand why my replication stop work and i need delete old replication and start replication from the begining.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere Replication area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi OskiPL

Is it complaining about source virtual disk being full or the datastore?.  If the virtual disk is full and you need to increase the capacity, the only way to do that is to stop replication in current version --> increase source VM disk capacity --> Re-configure replication. You can do that any one of the following options:

Option 1: Stop VM replication(This would clear replica files from target datastore) --> Increase disk space --> Re-configure fresh replication

Option 2: Rename replica VM folder at target datastore(This would stop deletion of replica files when stopping replication --> Stop replication --> Increase disk capacity on source disk --> Increase disk capacity of target vmdk --> Rename replica VM folder back to original name and re-configure replication using existing seeds. Please refer following KB for more info --> VMware Knowledge Base

vSphere replication 8.3 introduces support for increasing disk space online for a replicated VM without performing any such tasks.

To use this feature, you need vSphere 7.0 on the source site and vSphere 6.5 or later on the target site

I hope that helps

0 Kudos
OskiPL
Contributor
Contributor

I dont need increase the capacity. I delete data on virtual machine when is full. But i dont understand why replication stop work when virtual disk on VM is near full.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It seems when the source VM disk is nearly full, data on the target VMDK will also have similar utilization and as a result replication enters error state.

Have you tried running reconfigure replication wizard once you clear the data on source VM?

0 Kudos
OskiPL
Contributor
Contributor

When I delete old replication and confgure new then work.

I would like to know if this situation is normal? or i have bug.

Why when source disk is near to full replication have error? is this normal?

0 Kudos