VMware Cloud Community
VMADMINAAA
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere Replication 5.1.1 and windows 2008R2 DCs USN issue

Hi all, we are trying to figure out what is the best way to protect two live DCs for DR scenarios. We currently have Vsphere 5.1 U2 and vR appliance 5.1.1 and we have successfully implemented it and are currently replicating live servers for DR purposes. But when it comes to domain controllers we are seeing some issues specially when they are trying to replicate with eachother after we recover them in an isolated environment.

Event Type: Error Event Source: NTDS General Event Category: Service Control Event ID: 2103 Date: 3/10/2005 Time: 4:26:51 PM User: USN\2B25VB$ Computer: 2B9A Description: The Active Directory database has been restored using an unsupported restoration procedure. Active Directory will be unable to log on users while this condition persists. As a result, the Net Logon service has paused

so at this point we need trash the two domain controllers and start with a fresh copy of a domain controller. a few questions i have

1. has anyone experience this issue with vSphere Replicaiton when recovering with latest available data. We noticed that when we power on the first DC taht has been recovered it show the server has been shutdown unexpectedly. and also show on the second DC

2. is vSphere replicaiton not a good solution to use to replicate DCs (8 hour RPO)

3. Should we use only one DC and bypass AD replication all togheter?

REgards.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

I would not recommend using VR for Domain Controllers. You would be much better off using the replication functionality within AD to replicate your DCs to your DR site. I'm think MS doesn't support DCs being replicated as there is the high potential for issues (like what you experienced).

0 Kudos