VMware Cloud Community
ubutnu
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Esxi 5.1 replication with 6.5

Hi

I have esxi 5.1 installed on my server with 5 VMs and now we need backup for VMs so if i buying ESXI 6.5 the future for replication it will work with old VMware or what the best solution for this .

Best Regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @ubutnu ,

vSphere replication is not really a backup solution, but a recovery solution. With that being said, it does let you make copy of VMs within the same vCenter or to a different vCenter. Unlike a backup solution, vSphere replication will only let you make a single copy for one VM.

To use vSphere replication, you need  compatible versions of vCenter server and ESXi hosts.

What is vSphere Replication 

vSphere replication FAQ 

Hope that helps.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem

0 Kudos
ubutnu
Contributor
Contributor

sure Mr. 

answering

Best Regards

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@ubutnu ,

I hope you are aware that version 5.1 is end of life. If you still decide to go with vSphere 5.1, yes you need a compatible vSphere replication.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

As it was mentioned before:
- vSphere replication is not a backup solution, it's for replication (meaning you will need to replicate data from Site (or host) A to Site (or host B)
- vSphere 5.1 it's long dead (meaning you will not get updates nor support from vmware. 

As for your "Will it work?" question:
No, it won't

Here is VMware's product interoperability matrix:

nachogonzalez_0-1612114577655.png
https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/sim/interop_matrix.php#interop&1=&671=

What it says is what product is supported with each other, I have tested in my test lab (for a previous project and migrating 5.1 to 6.5 failed)

As for what is the best solution:
Here is what i would do:

-- Assuming you have a shared storage on your ESXi host.
I would buy a new host and mount the previous storage to the new host, then upgrade VM hardware and vmware tools.

-- If you don't have a shared storage I would get one and use it as a pivot from 5.1 to 6.5 (or 6.7)

0 Kudos