VMware Cloud Community
accesspaul
Contributor
Contributor

VSphere Relication - VCenter requirements

Hi,

I plan to get a VSphere Essentials Plus Kit. Per review, VSphere Replication is supported.

1. Do I need to install VR appliance for Both Sites: Source & Target or just the target site.

2. Do I need to have a VCenter on both sites?

Or can I use a the VCenter at my soure site to manage the ESXi host at the target site ?

3. Can a Vcenter manage ESXi host located at different subnets / network ?

-----------------------

Can I get 2x VSphere Essentials Plus license and have bi directional replication between sites ?

One VCenter per site?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rh5592
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

1. Do I need to install VR appliance for Both Sites: Source & Target or just the target site. -- For a single vCenter Server managing both sites, then no need to deploy a 2nd VR appliance. If both sites have vCenter Server, then yes you need to have VR appliance at both sites.

2. Do I need to have a VCenter on both sites? This is the preferred method for DR purposes but not  a hard requirement to get VR working.

Or can I use a the VCenter at my soure site to manage the ESXi host at the target site ? Yes you can. You can even protect your vCenter Server if its a VM by replicating it to the target site.

3. Can a Vcenter manage ESXi host located at different subnets / network ? Yes as long as routing is there and firewall ports are open.

Regards. ================================================= "If found useful, kindly mark answers Correct or Helpful " http://rh5592.com =================================================
0 Kudos