VMware Cloud Community
pchafer
Contributor
Contributor

VR Delta errors after Storage vMotion.

We have 5.1 and didn't realise storage vMotion wasn't supported for SRM 5.1 and vSphere replication.

We moved a few replication enabled VMs using Storage vMotion and now these VMs cannot vMotion.

We get VR scheduler delta errors along with migrating the active virtual machine timed out messages.

All other replicated enabled VMs that didn't move datastores are fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Peter,

so you svmotioned some VR protected vms (you are correct this is not supported in 5.1) and now to be clear you have two issues with those vms:

1. you cannot vmotion them

2. You are getting replication errors

can you post screenshots of the exact errors?

I assume all your vcenters, hosts and VR appliances are 5.1? What update levels are you running?

final questions. The vms that you smvotioned:

1. How many vmdks do they have?

2. Did you move the entire vm including its home folder or just subset of the respective vms vmdks?

3. You mentioned on twitter you had tried (but presumably failed) to reconfigure replication for the vms? What error did you get on replication reconfiguration and what steps did you follow?

Depending on answers to the above we might need to actually remove the replication for each affected vm and recreate from scratch.  Before doing that you can rename the target disk folder(s) however to stop the unconfigure removing the target vmdks. Once the replication job is removed during the recreation you can then rename the target folder(s) back to original names and use the same locations as targets once more allowing you to use those vmdks that reside within as seeds. 

0 Kudos
pchafer
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for coming back to me on this.

Correct we cannot vMotion these VMs now but do not receive replication errors except for the occasional scheduler error. (.jpgs attached below).

We are on 5.1 vCenter build 1235232. SRM 5.1 also. One example VM has 4 vmdk files and yes the whole lot moved to a new datastore.

Stop press! I have just stopped replication and storage vMotioned these VMs across to another datastore. Weirdly this seems to have fixed the issue!

I am just wondering if it happens again can replication be reconfigured somewhere instead of stopping and re-starting from scratch?

error1.jpgerror2.jpg

0 Kudos