VMware Cloud Community
kd1989
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Take a backup of a VM using Veenam and vSphere replication simultaneously for 2 different sites.

Hello All,

I have scenario wherein a SQL server is replicating to vCloud Air through vSphere replication at the same time Veenam backup is configured to take backups frequently. The problem is if the replication is in progress it won't allow Veenam to take snapshot which is part of the backup process and eventually the backup task fails to overcome this situation I need to pause the replication, initiate a backup task manually, Once the task is complete I need to kick start the replication manually.

I want to know if there is way to run these 2 jobs simultaneously, I know we can automated tasks to pause the replication initiate a backup and kick start the replication but I want the other way.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dee006
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

This is tricky environment.What is your RPO set for the server and how much the time the back takes to complete?

Let say an example the your current RPO set as 15 minutes and backup time takes 1 hour to complete the full VM backup.

In this case,I prefer you to change the RPO time to 2 hours or 1 hours based on the backup time.VRA will mainly look for CBT based on your RPO time,I prefer you to change the RPO time of the individual server based on backup time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The key thing here is to make sure that you aren't using VSS quiescing for the replication job. This is the only reason that VR will take a snapshot of a replicated VM. In normal replication it uses light-weight deltas which won't conflict with a VADP backup job. VR is capable of replicating a VM with snapshots, so if a backup job is running during replication it shouldn't fail.

0 Kudos
Dee006
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

This is tricky environment.What is your RPO set for the server and how much the time the back takes to complete?

Let say an example the your current RPO set as 15 minutes and backup time takes 1 hour to complete the full VM backup.

In this case,I prefer you to change the RPO time to 2 hours or 1 hours based on the backup time.VRA will mainly look for CBT based on your RPO time,I prefer you to change the RPO time of the individual server based on backup time.

0 Kudos