VMware Cloud Community
cmonspike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Storage array replication as a VMware DR Solution

Hi,

If I need to do storage array replication, how does VMware sees the virtual machines in their replicated datastores?  Do I need to manually add the newly replicated VMs in the inventory?

Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It depends, if you are doing it manually (without a tool like SRM) vSphere will not see VMs on replicated datastores and you would have to manually add them to inventory.

Here are some more details: you would have to take a snapshot of the LUN, break the mirror or flip replication the other direction in order to mount the storage to hosts on the DR site. Then you would have to manually add the VMs to inventory, place them in folders, resource pools, networks, etc and power them on as needed. If you are using Site Recovery Manager this process is all automated and you'll have the ability to test your failovers non-disruptively.

Does that answer your question?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What storage replication will you be using? This could differ between the vendors..

New blog - https://virtualizeme.org/
0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It depends, if you are doing it manually (without a tool like SRM) vSphere will not see VMs on replicated datastores and you would have to manually add them to inventory.

Here are some more details: you would have to take a snapshot of the LUN, break the mirror or flip replication the other direction in order to mount the storage to hosts on the DR site. Then you would have to manually add the VMs to inventory, place them in folders, resource pools, networks, etc and power them on as needed. If you are using Site Recovery Manager this process is all automated and you'll have the ability to test your failovers non-disruptively.

Does that answer your question?

0 Kudos
cmonspike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer.  I was expecting that kind of answer.  I am trying to avoid SRM with a IBM Storwize V7000 replication to another V7000 and I was wondering if there were other solution from VMware.

Thanks again

0 Kudos