VMware Cloud Community
Villex
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Some questions about Replication

Hello,

I have several questions with vSphere Replication.

- Can I replicate a VM ESXi server isolated, without vCenter?

- If I can, could you turn on the virtual machine as if necessary? because when I turn on the virtual machine, I manage in vcenter console

- If I have to replicate it in vCloud, how should I? would have to download an appliance in my office and one in my cloud?

Thanks for help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

You are required to have vCenter Server in order to replicate VMs within or between datacenters. VR as a product is installed on per vCenter level and is available only if you use vSphere Web Client connected to vCenter server.

- If I can, could you turn on the virtual machine as if necessary? because when I turn on the virtual machine, I manage in vcenter console

vSphere Replication doesn't disrupt the VM work. It monitor what VM is changing and changes are replicated

- If I have to replicate it in vCloud, how should I? would have to download an appliance in my office and one in my cloud?

If you build your own private cloud using vCloud Director you can use VR to replicate directly to vCD, as VR currently supports only VC as target. However you can check VMware vCloud Hybrid Service: Overview | United States if you want to replicate workloads in VMware vCloud Hybrid service

Hope this helps

Regards,

--Martin

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

You are required to have vCenter Server in order to replicate VMs within or between datacenters. VR as a product is installed on per vCenter level and is available only if you use vSphere Web Client connected to vCenter server.

vSphere Replication doesn't disrupt the VM work. It monitor what VM is changing and changes are replicated

If you build your own private cloud using vCloud Director you can use VR to replicate directly to vCD, as VR currently supports only VC as target. However you can check VMware vCloud Hybrid Service: Overview | United States if you want to replicate workloads in VMware vCloud Hybrid service

Hope this helps

Regards,

--Martin

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Current vSphere Replication releases require vCenter at both protected site and at recovery site. VRMS is extension to vCenter server.

For some scenarios, the ROBO topology - a single vCenter managing remote site ESXi and replicating to a shared recovery site (where vCenter lives) might be applicable.

For vCHS DR service, you would need vCenter and VR appliance at the protected site. vCHS infrastructure already provides the endpoint for the replication traffic and necessary backend components. You would simply need to subscribe for the DR service. The replication management components are not part of your virtual datacenter (VDC) in vCHS.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos