VMware Cloud Community
noorani92
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Single VM - Multiple Target Site Possible? Using Site Recovery Manager 8.1

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to configure multiple replications on a single virtual machine?

I want to configure a replication on a virtual machine from source site (Primary Site) to target site (DR Site) and would also like to configure the replication on the same virtual machine within the primary site on a separate datastore.

I have created a replication between the source and target site but when I tried configuring the replication within the same vcenter, it tells me that it's already configured and doesn't let me proceed.

Is there any way I can achieve the above task?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well, with vSphere replication you can only do one to one replication for a VM. One to many replication for a VM cannot be done.

FT Requirements:

Fault Tolerance Requirements, Limits, and Licensing

# Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't think it allows to replicate within a vcenter to the replicated VM.

instead enable FT on that VM to be available in the same vcenter,

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
noorani92
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually, we are running vSAN and have set FTT to 1. We also have a DR site and we'll be using SRM and VR to replicate the VMs to DR site. What I want is to have another copy of my critical VMs on local esxi datastore just incase anything happens to vSAN and DR.

Is that possible with FT? for FT don't we require a share datastore?

0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Okay I got it,

Please review the best practices from the below links and apart from replication, it is good to have a backup solution for your critical VMs.

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Best Practices for Fault Tolerance

https://cormachogan.com/2018/06/06/a-deeper-dive-in-fault-tolerant-vms-running-on-vsan/

SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well, with vSphere replication you can only do one to one replication for a VM. One to many replication for a VM cannot be done.

FT Requirements:

Fault Tolerance Requirements, Limits, and Licensing

# Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos