VMware Cloud Community
itsupportsaim
Contributor
Contributor

Replication with only a single recovery point per VM - I expect primary site failure during replication would result in corrupted VM at target site?

However assuming leads to anger, anger leads to hate...you get the idea.  The assumption stems from the storage requirements and description of the product.  That would not be a very safe product though so I am hoping VMWare Replication functions as follows when only specifying a single recovery point:

1)  Initial full replica created at target site.

2)  Sync of changes occurs and once the replication job is completed and verified it is rolled into base replica.

3)  Repeat.

OR

1)  Initial full replica created at target site.

2)  Sync of changes occurs and stored as a delta on target.

3)  Next replication cycle runs and once completed and verified the previous replica is rolled into the base image.

4)  Repeat.

The first theory is IMHO more likely but anyone who knows I would appreciate sharing the details as it would be a helluva time to find out neither scenario is applicable during recovery at a DR site 😕

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

Thank you for not assuming as when you make an assumption you make an ass out of "you" and "uption".

VR is designed to prevent the scenario you mention. With VR you will always end up with a consistent snapshot at the target site. VR uses something similar to option two. Take a look at this video: VMworld 2012: Session BCO1505 - VMware vSphere Replication: Technical Walk-Through with Engineering ... and this FAQ for details: Introduction and General Information

0 Kudos