VMware Cloud Community
anothervsphereu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Replication status shows Not Active

I have a VM that was set up for replication from Site A to Site B.  All was good. The VM was then recovered to Site B.  Replication was then removed and then set up in the reverse direction from Site B to Site A.  In the GUI, it shows Not Active.   But If i run vim-cmd hbrsrv/vmreplica.getState from the host, I can see that replication is active and data is being moved.   I tried rebooting VRMS on both sites.  I moved the VM to a different host.  I also let replication complete, then removed replication again and set up it once more. But not matter what I do, the status in the GUI will not change to Full Sync, or OK.  

Any ideas?   Everything I have found talks about issues with communication between the VRMS and hosts.  But there is nothing blocking communication.  As i mentioned, vim-cmd commands show that replication is working OK.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @anothervsphereu ,

Ideally, 'Not Active' status is reporting when there is a network communication issue and this will be clearly logged in vmkernel.log of the host where the VM is running(You would see connection errors from this host to target VR appliance).

If the replication is working and it's just the UI not reporting correct status, you can try clearing the incoming and outgoing events table at both sites. Please take a snapshot before performing this cleanup.

Please refer this blog for procedure --> https://virtuallypeculiar.blogspot.com/2018/01/vsphere-replication-sync-fails-with.html 

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
anothervsphereu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply ashilkrishnan

I believe I had looked at this already.  The problem I have with trying this procedure is that when i run the command ./psql -U vrmsdb, it keeps prompting for a password.  I have no idea what that password might be.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@anothervsphereu ,

It should be there in /opt/vmware/hms/conf/embedded_db.cfg.

Try running this:   cat /opt/vmware/hms/conf/embedded_db.cfg | grep "EMB_DB_PASSWORD"

0 Kudos
anothervsphereu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@ashilkrishnan 

I was able to use those commands to get the database password.  I then followed the blog post and that resolved my issue.

One I cleaned up the event table entries and restarted the hms service, the VM status went to OK, and I was able to do a Sync Now successfully.

thank you very much.

0 Kudos