VMware Cloud Community
cheese2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Replication 6.1 plugin not installing

I have a brand new Windows-based vCenter server v6.0.0.3018524 which is running very nicely.  To this system I have attempted to deploy vSphere Replication 6.1, and after some initial difficulty with dns I appear to have succeeded in getting the Appliance set up, registered and running.

However no icon for vSphere Replication appears on the Home screen, and the plugin is not listed under Administration > Solutions > Client Plugins.  At first it appears to be the issue documented at VMware KB: The VMware vSphere Replication plug-in may not be displayed correctly in the vSphere Web ... however that article doesn't apply to v6, the quoted log error message doesn't appear in mine, and when I follow the procedure for verifying certificates, everything checks out.  In fact the only reference I can find to the ngcplugin in the virgo log is a message about "downloaded successfully".

If I point my web browser to the plugin install url: https://[appliance ip]:5480/client/ngcplugin-60.zip the file downloads and I am able to unzip it and place it manually in the web client plugins folder.  After restarting the web client service it then appears under Administration > Solutions > Client Plugins as version 6.1.0.603051487 however there is still no vSphere Replication icon on the Home screen.  The following then appears in the virgo log:

Error deploying one of more bundles for the plugin package C:\PROGRA~1\VMware\VCENTE~1\WEBCLI~1\plugin-packages\ngcplugin-60 com.vmware.vise.core.model.CompositeException: CompositeException

Bundle: <com.vmware.vr.client.topologyservice,6.1.0.3051487> failure: Install Failed

Bundle: <com.vmware.vr.client.vrservice,6.1.0.3051487> failure: Install Failed

Bundle: <com.vmware.vr.client.vrui,6.1.0.3051487> failure: Install Failed

at com.vmware.vise.extensionfw.impl.HotDeployBundleDeployer.deploy(HotDeployBundleDeployer.java:180)

at com.vmware.vise.extensionfw.impl.PackagesDeployer.deployInternalPlugins(PackagesDeployer.java:198)

at com.vmware.vise.extensionfw.impl.PackagesDeployer.deployPackage(PackagesDeployer.java:133)

at com.vmware.vise.extensionfw.impl.PackagesDeployer.deploy(PackagesDeployer.java:78)

at com.vmware.vise.extensionfw.ExtensionManager.addPluginPackages(ExtensionManager.java:419)

at com.vmware.vise.extensionfw.impl.ExtensionBundleActivator$PluginActivatorThread.run(ExtensionBundleActivator.java:95)

I have unregistered, removed and reinstalled the Appliance three times with exactly the same result.  Other plugins, for example Update Manager, installed on this vCenter without issue and are functioning properly.  Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cheese2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well I believe I've fixed this.  The one and only customization I made to my vCenter was to follow this guide to install the ESXtopngc plugin because I find the feature incredibly useful.  However it would appear to be incompatible with the vSphere Replication plugin and was preventing it from loading.  As soon as I removed the esxtop plugin, and then redeployed the replication appliance in exactly the same way I've done at least a dozen times previously, hey presto!  It works!  I further confirmed this by reinstalling the esxtop plugin, and as soon as I did so the Replication interface disappeared.  I have no idea whether this would also affect the vCenter Appliance, for which the esxtop plugin was written, but it certainly isn't happy on the Windows one.

I do note that even though the Replication plugin is installed and working, nothing has been added to the plugins folder.  I don't know how that works or where the Replication plugin has gone, but there's obviously something different about it.

So for anyone else having this issue with Replication I would say check what other plugins you have installed and try removing any beyond the default set until you find a combination that works.  Remember you have to restart the web client service each time to get it to reload the plugins so it could be a slow process.  I've spent three solid days troubleshooting this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
cheese2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Gave up with 6.1 and tried 6.0.0.1 instead.  Same result except that now in the Events I get "The deployment of plug-in vSphere Replication 6.0.0.602718739 is successful.  Log in again to view the interface of the plug-in" However no matter how many times I log out/in or restart the web client service nothing ever shows up, either on the Home screen or under Administration > Solutions > Client Plugins.  Nothing seems to have been added to the folder where the plugins live, either, so I have no idea why it's saying the plugin has been installed or where it installed it.

0 Kudos
mikekemp1234567
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have this exact same issue.

Can someone enlighten us please?

Many thanks,

0 Kudos
cheese2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well I believe I've fixed this.  The one and only customization I made to my vCenter was to follow this guide to install the ESXtopngc plugin because I find the feature incredibly useful.  However it would appear to be incompatible with the vSphere Replication plugin and was preventing it from loading.  As soon as I removed the esxtop plugin, and then redeployed the replication appliance in exactly the same way I've done at least a dozen times previously, hey presto!  It works!  I further confirmed this by reinstalling the esxtop plugin, and as soon as I did so the Replication interface disappeared.  I have no idea whether this would also affect the vCenter Appliance, for which the esxtop plugin was written, but it certainly isn't happy on the Windows one.

I do note that even though the Replication plugin is installed and working, nothing has been added to the plugins folder.  I don't know how that works or where the Replication plugin has gone, but there's obviously something different about it.

So for anyone else having this issue with Replication I would say check what other plugins you have installed and try removing any beyond the default set until you find a combination that works.  Remember you have to restart the web client service each time to get it to reload the plugins so it could be a slow process.  I've spent three solid days troubleshooting this.

0 Kudos