VMware Cloud Community
JustMike2
Contributor
Contributor

Removing Replication not removing files at recovery site?

Hello,

If I understand this article correctly, removing replication will delete the replicated VM at recovery location, correct?

Stop vs Pause with vSphere Replication | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

I removed replication for a VM (by selecting "Remove Replication from the SRM plugin) and the files are still in the recovery sites datastore?  Is that a bug, or am I missing something?  We are using SRM, vSphere 5.1.

thanks

3 Replies
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

If failover has not been performed and initial seeds where not used when configuring the replication, VRMS removes the replica disks from the the target datastores.

If failover has been performed - none of the recovered config files or disks are touched.

If failover has not been performed and the replication was configured using initial seeds - VRMS explicitly preserves the disks, so that later on can be used again as initial copy.

Can you clarify which files remain at your target datastores, after removing the replication? Is it just the base disks, or there are some files with "hbr" in the name and also copies of the VM's config files and possibly disk redo logs?

Regards,

Martin

grace27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

agree with mvalkanov , could you please share the the file name along with extension name .

JustMike2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Martin,

There were no initial seeds used in the replication. We actually had both filers in house when the original replication took place. 

We haven't performed a failover, but we routinely test the recovery plan in the SRM plugin.

The folder that remained contained . vmdk, .vmx and files with "hbr" in the name.

I have since cleaned it up (deleted it).  It was our understanding that once replication was "stopped", it would delete the folders at the replication site.  We weren't aware of the failover and initial seed scenarios.   Thanks for that info!!

Thanks again for your response!

mike

0 Kudos