VMware Cloud Community
DeanPung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Re-configure vSphere replication fails - There is another vm that has the same instance UUID as the one you are attempting to configure

Hi All,

My colleague was attempting to extend a HD of a Server 2008R2 server that (1) had a snapshot and (2) was being replicated. This failed and they removed the snapshot then stopped replication. Long story short when I got to it the server couldn't be configured for replication, and couldn't extend the disk and a vMotion failed.

Looking at the virtual machine files on the datastore and the virtual machines .vmx file it has all the hallmarks of a virtual machine still configured for vSphere replication. If you try to configure vSphere replication causes an instant error "vsphere replication does not support changing the length of a replicated disk". After some changes I can reconfigure vSphere replication again however when the wizard is finished I get a new error message (see below):

"Attempt to configure vSphere Replication failed for virtual machine 'vm-name' while creating group 'vm-group'. There is another virtual machine 'vm-name' that has the same instance UUID 'UUID of Virtual Machine' as the one that you are attempting to configure. The existing vSphere Replication is configured for protection site.

A possible solution could be to reset the embedded database on the VRMS server at our DR site as suggested here Configure VR replication after losing a VC however I was wondering if there another alternative? I haven't reset the VRM database before and cannot find a document that says exactly what to do. I'm assuming I'll need to stop all replications prior to resetting the database?

Cheers,

Dean

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

There is no need to completely reset VRMS database.

If you know the GID-... value of the orphaned replication, you can use the VRMS MOB (https://vrms_address:8043/mob/?moid=GID-...&vmodl=1) to invoke the destroy method - this is single sided replication removal at either source or target site.

If you don't know the GID-... value, it can be looked up from VRMS DB or log files. Please file a SR for assistance.

This procedure is already documented in internal KB articles and VMware support help will assist:

Internal KB article 2056086, section "Cannot replicate virtual machine as there is another virtual machine with the same instance UUID"

and also internal KB article 2060751.

The admin guide topic will be updated as it is confusing as of now by only suggesting to reset the DB.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Biliana
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Which version of vSphere Replication are you using? In VR 5.5 and above, you can force stop any leftover-ed replication entry before attempting to configure a new replication.

0 Kudos
DeanPung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Biliana,

Yes we're on 5.5 and above. So how do you remove any left over replications?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Biliana
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Here is the procedure:

Let's say that you have replication configured from A->B.

1) To remove site A's knowledge about this replication you can select the replication entry in Outgoing Replications view, Invoke Stop action and then on the popup select "Force stop" checkbox and click OK

2) To remove site B's knowledge about this replication you can select the replication entry in Incoming Replications view, Invoke Stop action and then on the popup select "Force stop" checkbox and click OK

You can also have a look at this documentation page: vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

Having performed that you can try to configure a new replication.

Hope this helps!

DeanPung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Biliana

Interesting. On my destination vCentre server the virtual machine in question isn't visible in the incoming vSphere replications list, however it is visible in the Outgoing replications of my source vCentre server. Upon Stopping Replication for this server (selecting the Force option) it now throws another error "Unable to compute permissions. See the log for more details". I'll have a look around.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DeanPung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looks like it's a rare but known issue with no work around VMware KB: Stopping VMware vSphere Replication fails with the error: Unable to compute permissions. ...

• In rare cases, vSphere Replication displays a stale replication instance when the replicated virtual machine is deleted from the source site.Attempting to stop the replication displays an error: Unable to compute permissions. See the log for more details.Workaround: None.

Looks like I might have to reset the VRMS database as documented here VMware vSphere Replication 5.8 Documentation Center Looking at the 4 steps I get the feeling that the actual process should be remove all replications then unregister the VR servers then do the reset of the VRMS database then re-register VR servers, sites etc then reconfigure the actual replications. Has anyone done this before?

0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

There is no need to completely reset VRMS database.

If you know the GID-... value of the orphaned replication, you can use the VRMS MOB (https://vrms_address:8043/mob/?moid=GID-...&vmodl=1) to invoke the destroy method - this is single sided replication removal at either source or target site.

If you don't know the GID-... value, it can be looked up from VRMS DB or log files. Please file a SR for assistance.

This procedure is already documented in internal KB articles and VMware support help will assist:

Internal KB article 2056086, section "Cannot replicate virtual machine as there is another virtual machine with the same instance UUID"

and also internal KB article 2060751.

The admin guide topic will be updated as it is confusing as of now by only suggesting to reset the DB.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
DeanPung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for that. I couldn't find the GID of the virtual machine in question however VMware assisted with this. Once the GID was found (via searching the hostd.log on one of the ESXi hosts) I invoked the Destroy method via https://vrms_address:8043/mob/?moid=GID-...&vmodl=1 which fixed the issue.

Cheers,
Dean

0 Kudos
russjar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi thanks for the link to the guide to remove a stale entry from t he VRA DB.

I've followed it to the letter, but when I paste the link into a browser to destroy it I'm prompted to authenticate, I've tried the VRA root password combination which doesn't work, and I noticed that it's actually asking me for

"A user name and password are being requested by https://IP_ADDRESS:8043. The site says: "VMware vSphere API Browser"

But I'm not sure of the credentials for the API Browser.

Thanks.....

VCP,MCSE NT4/W2k/W2k3, MCSA W2k3
0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

For VRMS MOB, you need to use the same credentials that you use for login at the Web Client or vCenter Server MOB.

For example Administrator@vsphere.local (before vCenter 6.0 there was a bug and you need to type the credentials in DOMAIN_NAME\username format, for example VSPHERE.LOCAL\Administrator).

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
russjar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fantastic thank you that did the trick. It was the Domain\Username combo.

VCP,MCSE NT4/W2k/W2k3, MCSA W2k3
0 Kudos