VMware Cloud Community
SamiSa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Questions about VMs Replication using EMC Storages

Hi

if we have a setup on VNX 5200 and willing to replicate to DR

What are the possible Replication Solutions from EMC if not using Recoverpoint ?
Do i need to add licenses of replication with the Application Suites for that ?

and if using Recoverpoint , is it a must to use SRM for the Replication or can be configured using the Recoverpoint and VNX Licenses only ?

and for another Setup of VNXe with 10 GB iscsi ports , what are the possible solutions ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jfargo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There are a few choices for replication with EMC VNX. You can use Mirrorview. Mirrorview/S (Synchronous) is for short distances and low latency and Mirrorview/A (Asynchronous) for longer distances and higher latency. You will need a license from EMC to use Recoverpoint or Mirrorview. The Recoverpoint appliances can now be virtual with version 4. ISCSI is required for a virtual Recoverpoint deployment.

You don't have to use SRM with Recoverpoint, although I would recommend that you do. SRM automates the many manual steps that are needed to recover your VMs. SRM will integrate with Recoverpoint or Mirrowview and you'll be able to script recovery plans. Otherwise manual recovery plans would be needed and would have to be kept up to date.

You can also replicate with software from vendors other than EMC. VMware has replication built in that is very good. Veeam also sells replication software.

John

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jfargo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There are a few choices for replication with EMC VNX. You can use Mirrorview. Mirrorview/S (Synchronous) is for short distances and low latency and Mirrorview/A (Asynchronous) for longer distances and higher latency. You will need a license from EMC to use Recoverpoint or Mirrorview. The Recoverpoint appliances can now be virtual with version 4. ISCSI is required for a virtual Recoverpoint deployment.

You don't have to use SRM with Recoverpoint, although I would recommend that you do. SRM automates the many manual steps that are needed to recover your VMs. SRM will integrate with Recoverpoint or Mirrowview and you'll be able to script recovery plans. Otherwise manual recovery plans would be needed and would have to be kept up to date.

You can also replicate with software from vendors other than EMC. VMware has replication built in that is very good. Veeam also sells replication software.

John

0 Kudos
SamiSa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks jfargo

aha i see , the thing is that i always see the RP with SRM and know that SRM automates alot of the operations

all i cared about is awareness of the RP with the Virtual Machines

I will check and read about the Mirrorview/A cause thats the solution i need for the VNXe

for the first VNX it is already with virtual RP

which method you think easier to implement ? and which you think easier for the VMWARE Admin : the ones built in the VMWARE , Veem or RP ?

RP is nice and  very easy to be used and monitored

Thanks

0 Kudos
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Veeam provides both backup and replication in one solution, so, it might be worth taking a look if you want to have both aspects included in one software. Based on my experience, it’s pretty easy to use, so, it wouldn’t take long for vmware admin to familiarize himself with this solution.

However, the best idea is to download trial versions of both solutions, play with them for a little while, and see which one suites your needs best. (how intuitive the interface is, how easy failover/failback is, how easy the replicas can be tested, what flexibility in terms of RPO/RTO software provides, etc.)

Cheers.

SamiSa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your Answers

appreciated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos