VMware Cloud Community
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Protecting vCenter and SSO with Replication

Hi

I was wondering if someone has a working solution to protect vCenter and SSO with vSphere replication.

In first instance I will be relying on HA and that should be fine. I am still considering Heartbeat but that may not be a viable option for me.

Replication relies on vCenter so I know there will be an issue restoring the replicated VM.
I am not sure how having a second vCenter in the mix will help. I only have one SSO server (HA no option for me) so I somehow have to protect that too. And without SSO I have no vCenter access.
Anyone tried anything that works?

Cheers

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Biliana
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

vSphere Replication is an extension to vCenter Server and relies on it. It requires vCenter Server on the target site to be up and running in order to invoke Recovery for a replicated VM. You can configure replication for the vCenter Sever VM to be replicated on a target site just the way you configure replication for any other VM from your inventory (assuming that you are using different source and target sites).  However, after recovery you will need to adjust correct IP settings as vSphere Replication recovers the VM with network devices disconnected. If you are using single site setup then you require that the vCenter Server up and running in order to invoke Recovery. There is no supported way to recover the replica without the vCenter Server in a single-site configuration. Hope this helps

0 Kudos