VMware Cloud Community
cfsullivan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No VR Commands Available After Upgrade

We recently upgraded to vCenter 5.5.0 2175560 and I then upgraded the VR Appliance to VR 5.5.1.4. We had been at vCenter 5.1.x and VR 5.1.x.x (the most recent version compatible with vCenter 5.1).  I believe I did everything correctly. All of the replications that were going continue to work, but I can't make any changes. For individual replicated VMs, under Actions, I get "No actions Available". For non-replicated VMs, "Configure Replication" is grayed out. I've spent a bit of time researching this problem, but haven't found anything. The first thing that comes to mind is that it's a permissions issue, but I have the Administrator role.

We are using one vCenter so I replicate VMs between data centers managed by the same vCenter server. At first I thought that maybe I needed to add the vCenter server as a target site, but it looks like that's not necessary when using one vCenter.

Am I missing something?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

There is a known issue after upgrade VR :

vSphere Replication actions in vSphere Web Client are not available after upgrade. If you follow the steps in Finish Upgrading the vSphere Replication Appliance If the vCenter Server IP Changes but use vSphere Web Client 5.5 before you upgrade the vSphere Replication appliance, replication actions through the vSphere Replication plugin are not available.

Workaround: Restart the vSphere Web Client service in Windows Services, or in the vCenter Server virtual appliance management interface (VAMI) if you are using the vCenter Server Appliance.

Source: VMware vSphere Replication 5.5 Release Notes

Hope this helps.

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

There is a known issue after upgrade VR :

vSphere Replication actions in vSphere Web Client are not available after upgrade. If you follow the steps in Finish Upgrading the vSphere Replication Appliance If the vCenter Server IP Changes but use vSphere Web Client 5.5 before you upgrade the vSphere Replication appliance, replication actions through the vSphere Replication plugin are not available.

Workaround: Restart the vSphere Web Client service in Windows Services, or in the vCenter Server virtual appliance management interface (VAMI) if you are using the vCenter Server Appliance.

Source: VMware vSphere Replication 5.5 Release Notes

Hope this helps.

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
cfsullivan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. Restarting the vSphere Web Client service resolved the problem, but neither the cert nor the IP address was any different on the vCenter server during or after the upgrade. It sounds like maybe this issue occurs even if the IP address or cert do not change(?).

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Biliana
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, you are correct, this is a discrepancy in our doc that we will resolve soon. Thanks for your feedback.

cfsullivan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarification.

0 Kudos