VMware Cloud Community
mobinqasim786
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrate Replication Appliance to Patch ESXi Host

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to Storage vMotion/migrate  vSphere Replication Appliance to different host for ESXi patches. I'm getting the following message

"This entity is managed by solution VR Management. It is not recommended to modify it directly. Instead use the management console for the solution if you want to make changes. Do you want to proceed"

I'm using vSpere Replication Appliance without the SRM. What is the best approach to upgrade ESXi host where Replication Appliacce exist. Do I just have shutdown the appliance then move, or is it okay to move it while it is running?

Regards,

MQ

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Moving the appliance via Vmware technologies is perfectly fine.

The message/warning you are receiving is just to warn you that this VM is a critical one and you should be careful. The same message will appear if you invoke power off of this machine.

Regards,

--Martin

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sclarkenetcraft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not sure on "best practice" lol, but I've vMotioned the appliance around several times without issues to patch hosts (or even just to manually rebalance where I didn't have DRS available).

mobinqasim786
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for the reply. So when you vMotioned Replication Appliance did you get the same warning message?

0 Kudos
sclarkenetcraft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah,  Just ignored it and continued on!

IMO it's pretty pointless having a virtual appliance you can't vMotion/SvMotion - defeats the purpose!

I'm pretty sure the warning is more to remind you not to play with the settings etc, for the appliance directly, but to use the appropriate interface(s).

0 Kudos
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Moving the appliance via Vmware technologies is perfectly fine.

The message/warning you are receiving is just to warn you that this VM is a critical one and you should be careful. The same message will appear if you invoke power off of this machine.

Regards,

--Martin

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
mobinqasim786
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help guys. After clicking OK on the warning I was able to vMotion vSphere Replication Appliance to other host and then upgrade the host without any issues.

Cheers

0 Kudos
hegdec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I tried to svmotion the replication appliance from one datastore to other. During the svmotion message “"This entity is managed by solution VR Management. It is not recommended to modify it directly. Instead use the management console for the solution if you want to make changes. Do you want to proceed" appeared. I just as discussed over here by passed the warning and storage
migrated. The status of the task was shown successfully complete. But, though in the VM configuration tab the disk path was shown in the destination datatstore, I could see that source datastore had VM listed in the associated VM list tab and also in the VM datastore tab I could witness both source and destination datastore. Is it anything related to the metadata that is holding
at the source datastore. But, when I try to browse the source datastore I couldn't find any file with the name of that VM/Appliance. Any idea what's causing this and what could be the resolution?

Chandan

0 Kudos