VMware Cloud Community
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

Max Running VM's

Hi there,

maybe anyone tried that already.

i'am planning to use Replication Manager to sync VM's.

what i don't understand is the limit.  just 2K and the vCenter able to cover 10K powered on Vm's per support.

this is rather strange.  they should support full amount.

Anyone tried to run more then 2k VM's with a Sync.  i mean not same time. but overally more then 2k protected ones

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

This limitation is a soft one and not a hard one. The product won't stop you from configuring more than 2K VMs for replications.

However, be aware that the official testing has been performed at the documented scale. If you attempt to use the product with higher load, it is likely that runtime issues can happen (various resources and timeouts have been sized according to the tested limits and performance criteria) and official support covers only the officially tested scale.

Please note that even after initial full sync has completed, each replication will switch states OK -> Sync -> OK within each RPO window and having more replications eventually will increase the load.

If official testing had passed with let's say 5K VMs, I don't think that 2K would have been documented.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

HI there Smiley Wink.

thx for the Answer.  i don't really care about the RPO. because i do my own RPO.  i stop all replications and starting the Replications manually over the Esxi directly.  i want to  be sure that i'am managing only an x concurrent Amount of Sync's I/O Wise Smiley Wink.

i just thinking that there maybe some fittings necessary somewhere to run better with higher loads,.... not sure about DB restrictions and xml configs.

i know this article once doing an upgrade = Operational Limits for vSphere Replication 6.x (2102453) | VMware KB

so maybe once beyond 2K or higher, some special configs necessary to place.

i opend a Ticket - maybe getting some infos back.

i mean it's just strange that there is no Max Support Solution for  10K Vms for example.  vCenter is supporting it.   even Site Recovery Manager is limited below that Value.

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos