VMware Cloud Community
thhg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Limit VSphere Replication Time Period

Am using VSphere Replication 5.8.1

I would like to limit the time period during which a VM can be replication

What I really want to do is limit the process to after hours (8:00 pm through 6:00 am)

I have set up my replication to 1 time per day but I've seen it cause server disconnections to my users when the replication is taking place

Steve

0 Kudos
7 Replies
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

Take a look at the Task Scheduler, there might be a way to do this in there: Create a Scheduled Task in the vSphere Web Client

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It's not possible to schedule replication for specific times. Replication activity depends on the RPO that you have set, as well as the amount of data that needs to be replicated during each window. The replication scheduler manages all of this - it's not user configurable:

VMware vSphere Replication 5.8 Documentation Center

0 Kudos
thhg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does the 6.0 / 6.1 version of Replication have this feature ?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm afraid not - the replication scheduler still controls when replication activity occurs in 6.1. I'm not aware of any plans to change this.

You mentioned that some users were affected by server disconnections - I presume this is related to quiescing. Have you considered configuring replications without using VSS? That should allow replication activity without any disruption to users.

0 Kudos
thhg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No quiescing is being used ....

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Strange. Replication should not be impacting end users. Only other thing I can guess is if your bandwidth was maxed out, but in general Replication traffic is throttled so it shouldn't cause any disruption.

I would guess that something else was causing the users to get disconnected. But if you're sure that Replication was responsible, it might be a good idea to open a support request.

0 Kudos
thhg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We're actually in test mode and the storage device for replication is on the local network of the ESXi host

I doubt there a local bandwidth issue

That said,  I am going to monitor the replications and the server(s) in question and see what happeniung

0 Kudos