VMware Cloud Community
danielmdm
Contributor
Contributor

Is it normal for there to be gaps in data transfer during the Initial Full Sync? Image Included Inside to illustrate

Hi,

We've got replication started on 8 VMs between two sites. Everything seem to be configured okay so far.

However, we are seeing a pattern in the Replication Reports (Transferred Bytes) that we aren't sure is normal or not.

Basically data will transfer for a couple of hours, then there seems to be a gap of a few hours where nothing is sent, then there's a couple of hours again - It's currently not transferring anything and I'm monitoring to see if this picks up again at some point.

Please see the image for a better idea of what's happening - Just trying to figure out if this is normal or not during the initial sync of a number of VMs?

Data Transfer.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
danielmdm
Contributor
Contributor

After monitoring things today I noticed that the data wouldn't start transferring again. The only way to get it to continue transferring is to pause and then resume the replication.

Can anybody say whether they've seen this issue before? It seems random how long it will transfer for before it stops transferring data (Status always shows that it's doing the initial full sync)

I did get one of the VMs to replicate across and it now shows "OK" as the status, but I had to pause and resume anytime that it stops transferring. During the times it is transferring the speed of the replication seems fine and at expected speeds.

Can this happen if you have too many going at once? Should I pause all of them except one and see if that helps?

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

VR is designed for multiple replications to run at the same time (depending on the version approximately 50-200 per appliance) so pausing/stopping all except one shouldn't be necessary. I'd recommend opening a support case to get them to look through your logs to get an idea of what's going on. This doesn't seem normal. I haven't seen or heard of it before.

0 Kudos
danielmdm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for confirming that it's not normal or a common issue at least.

Will look at opening a support call this evening. Is it easy to grab the replication logs? I'm unsure whether I should get them from vCenter Appliance, or the Replication Appliance - And at which site. We have a vCenter Appliance and a Replication appliance at both sites.

0 Kudos
danielmdm
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your help so far. It's much appreciated. I will update this if we can find anything in the logs via Support

0 Kudos