VMware Cloud Community
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Fastest way to pause all replication in the event of low bandwidth WAN failover?

We had an instance where our 50meg fiber connection went down between two offices.  The AT&T 4G LTE picked up like it was supposed to, but the bandwidth just isn't there to support traffic for phones and branch office, on top of vsphere replication.  Also when on 4G LTE backup the connection is metered so the more use up and over the subscribed data pool allowance means more cost to operate.  While our primary fiber carrier was able to get service restored in 2 hours, this low bandwidth meant employees at the branch office could barely function.

In this event when we go from a 50 meg / 20ms latency fiber line to a 5 meg / 250ms latency 4G LTE connection, what is the FASTEST way to stop / pause / halt ALL replication traffic?  Keep in mind that it was nearly impossible to connect to the remote office vCenter server, so everything has to be able to be done from the main office vCenter server.

My thoughts would just be to hard power off vSphere Replication Server and vSphere Replication Management Server (VRMS).  Would this effectively stop this replication traffic until they are powered back on?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Shutting down the VR management VMs on the source site would not pause/stop the traffic since the traffic goes from the source ESXi.

What version of VR you use? In VR 6.0 we introduced Traffic isolation feature - vSphere Replication 6.0 Documentation Center‌. So this is one option.

Another option is to select all the replications and manually trigger pause. This is better than un-configure them since you are going to have much troubles later on when you want to re-configure them back again.

Regards,

--Martin

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm sorry I forgot this post was even out there.

I'm not sure the exact version number.  Were on vSphere 5 U3.  ESXi servers are on 5.0.0 2312428.

in vSphere client the vSphere Replication Management Server (VRMS) shows a version 1.0.3.0 Build 1344434 under the general section.

vSphere Replication Server shows the version 1.0.3.4117 Build 1344436 in this section as well.

I can't access SRM or replication from my desktop;.  It just says connection error: Lost connection to SRM server.  It's said this ever since we disabled SSL 3.0 on client workstations.  However I can go into the vcenter server and open the vSphere client to localhost and see the replications there.  I didn't realize there was a pause replication button there.  I am seeing that now that I am on the vSphere client directly on the vcenter server.  Thank you.

0 Kudos