VMware Cloud Community
mquintas
Contributor
Contributor

Error in connecting VR-LOCAL to VR-REMOTE

Hi,

When I try to connect the vCenter-Remote I get the follow message:    Unable to connect or disconnect the vSphere Replication Management Server.

Looking the log file /opt/vmware/logs/hms/hms.log, I see this error message:

2015-01-08 02:59:41.880 ERROR hms.remote.SiteManager [Ping Thread for server <IP>:8043] (..net.impl.VmomiPingConnectionHandler)  | Ping for server <IP>:8043 failed: com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.exception.InternalException: Managed Object 'HmsServiceInstance' thrown unexpected exception 'java.net.UnknownHostException' with message 'vcenter55.xpto.intra' when invoking method 'ping' : Managed Object 'HmsServiceInstance' thrown unexpected exception 'java.net.UnknownHostException' with message 'vcenter55.xpto.intra' when invoking method 'ping'

Is it possible to change the <IP> to a name???

thanks!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Hello,

are the computers connected to the same domain and are their registered (ie have A records) in your DNS?

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
DavidPasek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same issue today in my lab where I'm testing SRM with vSphere Replication.

I have seen the same message in the log like you on one site (VPOD02.EXAMPLE.COM). However pinging to IP address cannot be a problem.I assumed I use only IP addresses in my lab to avoid similar issues.

That was the reason why I checked vSphere Replication Appliance (VRA) log file /opt/vmware/logs/hms/hms.log on the other site (VPOD01.EXAMPLE.COM).

On the second site (VPOD01.EXAMPLE.COM) log file I have seen unsuccessful pinging to the hostname vc01.vpod02.example.com. That was logical because I have different Domain Controllers and DNS server on each site (VPOD01 x VPOD02).

My assumption that I don't use FQDN in my lab was wrong.

The simplest and fastest solution was to configure conditional forwarding on DNS servers to enable correct name resolving on both sites.

I've spent almost 3 hours with troubleshooting so I hope this story helps you and potentially to others.

-- The devil is in the detail.
0 Kudos