VMware Cloud Community
Bruticusmaximus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does vSphere Replication pre-allocate disk space for replicated VMs?

Does vSphere Replication pre-allocate disk space for replicated VMs?

Here's my scenario.  I'm setting up replication for a VM that is 6TB.  At the recovery site I see datastore A has 8TB free,  I choose that datastore. VSR is happy.

Someone else comes along a few minutes later and sets up replication for another VM that is 4TB.  They see datastore A has 8TB and they choose that. VSR is also happy. VSR doesn't seem to say "Hey, I have this 6TB replicating so you can't stick your 4TB VM there" when you setup replication for the second VM. 

Now, throw on top of this DRS.  Before the 6TB VM finishes the initial sync, DRS comes along and throws a few TB of other VMs on datastore A so now, the 6TB replication fails.

Am I doing something wrong?  Does VSR not communicate with DRS? If you're replicating a 6TB VM, shouldn't VSR set aside that space so other VMs don't end up on that datastore before replication finishes?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
BivasM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vsphere replication should communicate with storage DRS.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vSphere-Replication/8.6/com.vmware.vsphere.replication-admin.doc/GUID-B20....

If possible you can also choose to have separate datastores for specifically using VSR.

0 Kudos