vSphere Replication

View Only
  • 1.  Compatibility Matrix vs Release Notes - Which 'wins'?

Posted Mar 25, 2014 09:56 PM

We are running vCenter 5.1 U1 with ESXi 5.1 U1 hosts and at one point I was thinking I would thus be deploying vShere Replication 5.1.1 to match/be compatible.

The compatibility matrix has green checkmarks when selecting vSphere Replication 5.1.2 with the above.  I know I can't use vSphere Replication 5.5.x and that's fine.

However, the Release Notes for vSphere Replication 5.1.2 states the following:  "Before you upgrade vSphere Replication to version 5.1.2, make sure that you have upgraded to vCenter Server 5.1u2"

So which 'wins'?  Can I go ahead and use vSphere Replication 5.1.2 in my otherwise purely 5.1U1 vCenter and ESXi environment?  The 'fixes' in 5.1.2 over 5.1.1 are minor, so I doubt I'm giving up much by just settling for 5.1.1 for my testing/POC but I wanted to be sure, and would rather use the latest/greatest if I can.  Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Compatibility Matrix vs Release Notes - Which 'wins'?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 25, 2014 11:24 PM

Hmmm yes that is not clear. We are currently working on a new format for the matrix and interop tools/pages.

Let me check with the VR team on the comment in the release notes. Personally I would go with the release notes statement that vCenter 5.1 U2 should be used but I will check the background for this statement in case you are ok to stay on U1 or 5.1 GA.

• 3.  RE: Compatibility Matrix vs Release Notes - Which 'wins'?

Posted Mar 25, 2014 11:29 PM

Thanks --- I'm sure we'll do just fine with v5.1.1 but I was just curious in case I can in fact use 5.1.2 with the rest of our infrastructure.  Thanks for checking.

• 4.  RE: Compatibility Matrix vs Release Notes - Which 'wins'?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 27, 2014 09:31 PM

got this checked. the release notes are NOT correct and will be amended. Go by the compat matrix. hope that helps.