VMware Cloud Community
xindayu11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I use vsphere replication to backup and restore the VC VM between 2 sites?

I have 2 VCenter, site A and site B.

I also have vsphere replication for the vcenter A VM to vcenter B.

The question is: when vcenter A VM is broken, can I use vsphere replication on vcenter B to recover the vcenter A VM?

By vcenter VM, I mean the VM running vcenter service.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When it is vCenter A to vCenter B it is no issue, it becomes problematic when you only have a single vCenter instance. At least it used to be, and i tested the process with a single vCenter Server instance a long time ago, you can read about it here: Can I protect my vCenter Server with vSphere Replication?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vXav
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't see why it would't work, as long as the server is recovered in the same subnet, has access to the hosts and to the same firewall rules (usually stretched VLAN or overlayed virtualized network). Re-IP will not be your friend for this guy.

Also remember that replication is not backup. If you find the issue too late, the broken vCenter will be replicated.

If the server itself is broken, you should restore from backup.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When it is vCenter A to vCenter B it is no issue, it becomes problematic when you only have a single vCenter instance. At least it used to be, and i tested the process with a single vCenter Server instance a long time ago, you can read about it here: Can I protect my vCenter Server with vSphere Replication?

0 Kudos