VMware Cloud Community
Almero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can I use vSphere Replication for VMs on a Lun that is currently doing Array based Replication to DR site

Hi Guys , unable to find the answer on any Docs/KBs . With normal SRM implementation , I know you can use a mix of  both , as long as a VM is not protected by Array and vR .

I need to make a NEW DR site C while maintaining current NETAPP Array based SRM protection to Site B.

Will this be a  supported  approach ? Is step 0 required ?

0 > Get my storage Guys to stop Array based Replication on LUN-XYZ ( IF NEEDED )

1 > Remove VMs on LUN XYZ from current SRM Protection Groups .

2 > Use vSphere Replication to Replicate VMs that live on the LUN-XYZ

3 > Repeat process till all LUNs have been processed like this .

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This should work without issue. I would just recommend a change in order to:

1 (also remove the LUN from the PG), 0, 2, 3

If you are going to leave the VM on the same LUN then step 0 wouldn't be required, but recommended (see below). If want to leave the LUN replicating and can just svmotion the VM, that would work as well.

From a data protection standpoint, as long as you understand the potential complications, I would actually recommend starting with step 2. Technically you don't want to have the same VM replicated more than once, in this case since you are transitioning, and if you understand that recovering the VM using one method will break the other, and that you can't have the VM protected with both (VR & ABR) in SRM, you should be ok.

Hope this makes sense. If not let me know.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This should work without issue. I would just recommend a change in order to:

1 (also remove the LUN from the PG), 0, 2, 3

If you are going to leave the VM on the same LUN then step 0 wouldn't be required, but recommended (see below). If want to leave the LUN replicating and can just svmotion the VM, that would work as well.

From a data protection standpoint, as long as you understand the potential complications, I would actually recommend starting with step 2. Technically you don't want to have the same VM replicated more than once, in this case since you are transitioning, and if you understand that recovering the VM using one method will break the other, and that you can't have the VM protected with both (VR & ABR) in SRM, you should be ok.

Hope this makes sense. If not let me know.

0 Kudos
Almero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you VERY much for detailed feedback .

So I will alter my workflow .

Notes >

I am using vR in stead of ABR , as I don't have NetAPP FC  in Site C , I have ISCSI StorSimple .

Some VMs will remain on LUN XYZ for a while , protected by SRM ABR , until we get more Compute in site C .

I don't have SRM in Site C , so will use just vR on its own , for now .

From what I am gathering with all in info at hand ,

Best approach would be to >

0 > Get my storage Guys to stop Array based Replication on LUN-XYZ ( IF NEEDED )

1 > Remove VMs on LUN XYZ from current SRM Protection Groups . Keep Lun XYZ in PG as there are other VMs that must remain protected for now .

1.5 > sVmotion the VMs I want to replicate to Site C using standard vR to a clean new Lun .

2 > Use vSphere Replication to Replicate VMs that live on the LUN-XYZ

3 > Repeat process till all LUNs/VMs have been processed like this .

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think you're on the right track. Keep in mind that to keep your VMs protected you could setup VR on the VM prior to moving it off the replicated LUN. When the initial VR sync completes you can SVmotion the VM to a non-replicated LUN. That way there isn't a time when the VMs data isn't replicated.

0 Kudos