vSphere Replication

View Only
  • 1.  Can I test recovery 1 vm instead of all of them in a filesystem?

Posted Aug 01, 2014 05:19 PM

I have 3 filesystems called fs1, fs2 and fs3.  On each file system there are a good assortment of protected VM's, like 11-20 VM's.

I need to resize the disk on one of our windows server vm guests and we've done this all the time no problem.  But now that we have different SANs at our main site vs DR site, we switched to vsphere replication since it was storage agnostic.  Now we get the dreaded message that resizing disks are not supported on replicated disks.  I can't believe the system isn't intelegent enough to do this!  Seems like a simple staple to be able to resize a disk to give it more storage space.

So now this VM sits on filesystem fs1.  I have to do a test restore which means I need to wait for 13 VM's on here to do a final sync to come online at the DR site when all I need to do is get this one machine up so I can clone it, then tear down the test session.

I am going by this document:

VMware KB: Resizing virtual machine disk files that are protected by vSphere replication

In SRM when I go to Protection Groups I can't just right click on the single machine to test just one machine.  Its all or nothing.  Any way to redesign this?

• 2.  RE: Can I test recovery 1 vm instead of all of them in a filesystem?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 01, 2014 05:51 PM

I think I figured this out.

I can remove protection for this one machine in the fs1 protection group.  Then remove the vm from that protection group.  Create a new protection group and just put this VM in it.  Then create a recovery plan and just put this protection group in it.  Then test that recovery plan.

A lot of work around when the simpler thing would be for VMWare just to allow you to resize a disk and replicate that change over the network.

When done I can move the vm back to the original protection group and basically undo all changes.