VMware {code} Community
Manoj_Shingare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

while creating the Virtual Machine , can we specify the CPU in Mhz ?

Hi ,

Can we configure the CPU of the Virtual Machine in Mhz ? Currently I am able to configure the no. CPUs of Virtual Machine.

Could anybody tell me , which property of Virtual Machine need to be used in order to achieve above functionality.

Thnks in advance for help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
njain
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Manoj,

You cannot configure the processor speed for virtual CPUs of a VM. It is dependent on the hardware that is available. You can however reserve some amount of resources for a CPU that would be guaranteed available to the VM for its usage.

To configure this, you can use the config.cpuAllocation.reservation property of the Virtual Machine object.

You can also refer to the documentation for ResourceAllocationInfo object in API reference for more details.

Hope the above information is helpful.

Regards,

Neha

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
njain
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Manoj,

You cannot configure the processor speed for virtual CPUs of a VM. It is dependent on the hardware that is available. You can however reserve some amount of resources for a CPU that would be guaranteed available to the VM for its usage.

To configure this, you can use the config.cpuAllocation.reservation property of the Virtual Machine object.

You can also refer to the documentation for ResourceAllocationInfo object in API reference for more details.

Hope the above information is helpful.

Regards,

Neha

0 Kudos
Manoj_Shingare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Neha,

Thanks for reply.

Its working fine.

0 Kudos
Manoj_Shingare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Neha,

What is the maximum value, that can be assigned to config.cpuAllocation.reservation property?

Currently I am specifying this value while creation of virtual machine . It does not giving any exception like specified value is greter than supported value or Insufficient CPU.

But if this value exceed some limit , virtual machine can not be powered on. It is giving error like Insufficient CPU .

The host's CPU speed is 3 GHz and if config.cpuAllocation.reservation property has value greater than 2250 MHz, Virtual Machine does not power on.

I am not getting any relation between these two values.

Could you tell me , how will I get 'limit' value so that I can set it as max cpu reservation .

Thanks in advance for help.

Thanks and Regards,

Manoj V. Shingare

0 Kudos