VMware {code} Community
Hakime
Contributor
Contributor

sdk installation trouble.

Hi.

I'm trying to run the samples given in the SDK package.I followed the instructions in setting up for C# development.I already have Visual studio & Microsoft .NET framework SDK2.0 installed.

I've entered the commands on both the SDK & Visual Studio2005 command prompt up till the "build2005.cmd"

I followed the instructions from the installation guide and programming guide.

And then I followed the ones on this link " "

I'm trying to build samples using visual studio 2005.

Ive followed the instructions according to the link above.

Everything was ok until the "Running the samples" segment.

I'm stuck at step No.4 as Ive right clicked on Browser2005 Project and then select Set as Startup Project from the menu.

When I clicked on the project properties,what was displayed came out differently from what was instructed. like there was no

1. Project_Name Property Pages dialog, select Configuration Properties—Debugging in the left-hand pane.

2. In the right-hand pane (under Start Options), select Command Line Arguments.

Another thing I wish to know is that have I installed the SDK properly.

So far,all Ive done now is entering commands on the SDK & Visual studios2005 command prompt.

I don't know if I've built them correctly as there was a message that displayed "Rebuild all: 8 succeeded,0 failed & 0 skipped"

There's also an issue regarding the server certificate.

I found the rui certificate from my VMware player.

This is a paragraph from the installation guide.

" Obtaining Server Certificates

VMware products use standard X.509 version 3 (X.509v3) certificates to encrypt session information sent over

SSL (secure sockets layer) connections between server and client systems. These certificates are created

automatically during the process of installing VMware products, including ESX Server and VirtualCenter

Server systems. (Since these default certificates are digitally signed with the name of the host system, they are

sometimes referred to as “self‐signed certificates.”) You must obtain the server certificate from each server that

you plan to target with your client application (the “target servers”).

For example, if you are creating a client application that will run against the VirtualCenter Server and an ESX

Server directly (in standalone mode), you must obtain both the VirtualCenter Management Server certificate

and the ESX Server certificate. On the other hand, if your application will run solely against the VirtualCenter"

ph

So can I use the cert that I found from the VMware player or should I have to obtain the certificates for ESX just as mentioned in the paragraph.

I'm going to need all the help I can get because I have no experience with VMware & virtualization.

As this is a public PC that I'm using..I'm having a hunch that the pervious users have already installed the SDK.

Please clear my doubts.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

To make sure that your samples are build successfully, just check that under obj\Debug directory of each sample an executable is created.

Now if you wanted to run the sample in IDE, you need to change the Project Properties to specify the command line arguments:

From the Project menu, select Properties to display the Property Pages dialog.

In the Project_Name Property Pages dialog, bydefault you would have "Application" tab, now you need to select "Debug" tab in the left-hand pane.

In the right-hand pane (under Start Options), input the parameters in the "Command Line arguments:" textbox.

For parameters to passed as Command Line argument please refer section Sample Applications

Each products have their own certificate. You cannot use VMware Player certificate, you must obtain the VirtualCenter Management Server certificate and the ESX Server certificate. However for these samples this has been taken care-of and you need to worry about it.

kwiseth
Contributor
Contributor

I believe the "Rebuild all: 8 succeeded,0 failed & 0 skipped" message means that you have indeed built the C# samples just fine.

Just want to mention that this SDK targets ESX, ESXi, or vCenter Server. The certificates mentioned in the Developer's Setup Guide are for server products. VMware Player is not a target for the client applications in the SDK. You need to run the samples against an ESX, ESXi, or vCenter Server. thanks,