VMware {code} Community
rmcateer
Contributor
Contributor

needed - VI perl "discovery script" that actually does "discover" things

I'm looking for a script (or options to vidiscovery.pl that I have missed) that will simply give me the same list items that I see in the VMware Infrastructure Client under Hosts & Clusters.

vidiscovery.pl does not "discover" anything because you have to provide the name of the entity to see the entities contents. I want something that can give me the types and names of the entities under Hosts & Clusters with me only specifying the sdk host, similar to what the c# sdk sample app Browser.cs does. Currently, I have to provide a datacenter's name to see the datacenter contents, but I see no way to this script to provide me the datacenter names.

I found that "Hosts & Clusters" is an entity of type folder with name "Datacenters" using the mob browser. But a vidiscovery.pl --managedentity folder --entityname Datacenters provides all folders one level down (great) BUT also provides all sorts of other folders that I don't see in the VMware Infrastructure client and does not provide my top level datacenters (rendering the returned information useless).

So just a real simple script that given the sdk host provides the types and names of top level things I see under Hosts & Clusters in the VMware Infrastructure Client.

Rob.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
halr9000
Commander
Commander

I've somewhat arrogantly answered this in PowerShell. :smileysilly:

Hal Rottenberg

Co-Host, PowerScripting Podcast (http://powerscripting.net)

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos