VMware {code} Community
wzhou
Contributor
Contributor

change a cluster setting without affecting others?

Hi,

I am trying to use reconfigureCluster_Task() to modify to enable/disable DRS. At the moment, in order to change this boolean setting without affecting others, I have to recreate the entire ClusterConfigSpec from ClusterConfigInfo by setting the properties of ClusterConfigSpec one by one even though I do not need to touch other settings at all. Here is the code.

ClusterOrginazation aCluster = ....,

ClusterConfigInfo existConfig = aCluster.getClusterConfig();

ClusterConfigSpec newSpec = new ClusterConfigSpec();

existConfig.getDrsConfig().setEnabled(true);

newSpec.setRulesSpec(...); <== have to create rule specs based on the rule info

newSpec.setDasConfig(existConfig.getDasConfig());

newSpec.setDrsConfig(existConfig.getDrsConfig());

newSpec.setDasVMConfig(....); <== have to create DasVMSpec based on DasVMConfigInfo

newSpec.setDrsVMConfig(....); <== have to create DrsVMSpec based on DrsVMConfigInfo

Just wondered is there a way to just set the property that I'd like to change in the new spec?

Thanks in advance!

Wei

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bclow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't you just use reconfigureCluster_Task with "modify" set to "true"? (http://pubs.vmware.com/vi301/sdk/ReferenceGuide/vim.ClusterComputeResource.html#reconfigure)

I haven't done it before, but the documentation says pretty straightforwardly that if modify==true, a partial set of changes may be applied incrementally. The documentation surrounding ClusterConfigInfo indicates "All fields are defined as optional. In case of a reconfiguration, unset fields are unchanged.".

i.e. make a new ClusterDrsConfigInfo with enabled==true, assign that to a new ClusterConfigSpec.drsInfo, and pass that in to the reconfigureCluster_Task with modify=true. I've done this exact thing with VMs, would stand to reason it behaves in the same manner for Clusters.

0 Kudos
wzhou
Contributor
Contributor

That's the first thing I tried. Didn't work. Got an exception saying something like "invalid operation".

0 Kudos
S_COLA
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here : got an exception saying "non nillable element 'operation' is null."

@wzhou : did you find a solution to your problem ?

0 Kudos
S_COLA
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos