VMware {code} Community
shanrajan
Contributor
Contributor

Wanna initiate VmMotion (Migration of VirtualMachine) from one ESX server to another ESX Server with out help of VirtualCenter Server. Is it possible?

I am developing an application to manage multiple ESX Servers. I want to provide option to do VmMotion (migration of VMs) between multiple ESX Servers. I know it is possible with the help of Virtualcenter Server. but i want to know whether it is possible with out this VirtualCenter Server and with only using VI API's in ESX Servers?

Thanks for any helpful answer.

- Shan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Shan,

VMotion is a feature of a VirtualCenter and not ESX. Thus, you would not be able to migrate VMs without using the VirtualCenter. In VMotion, you need the connectivity between two physical servers and that will be possible only through a VirtualCenter.

You can also refer to SDK Programming guide () and VC Product features () for more details.

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,

Seemanki

shanrajan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Seemanki,

Thanks for kind reply.

but i have one more question. is it possible to write separate application (like virtual center server) by my own so that i dont have to spend money on virtual center Server. is there any documents available to help that type of application development?

Thanks and Regards,

Shan

0 Kudos
shanrajan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Seemanki

actually i want to write an web based client application to manage multiple ESX Servers.

dont want to spend extra money on virtual center server (for only monitoring ESXs and VmMotion like features).

i have some limited success on my web client application development using VI API.

- Shan

0 Kudos