VMware {code} Community
llasram
Contributor
Contributor

VI3 Event documentation

Does anyone know where/if one can find more documentation for the various VI3 Event subclasses than the single-sentence per class in the VI3 API Reference? For many of them the event conditions are somewhat unclear and more detailed documentation would be very helpful.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't think there is currently a more verbose description of the events, but it sure is a great idea, isn't it (perhaps a new section of my book). My best suggestion to you is to download my application Monet which monitors events and tasks in real time and outputs them to the command line. You can edit the source so that it prints out the event type and then read the description along with the event. Hopefully you will be able to discern what the event means by observing empirical evidence.

Does that make sense?

llasram
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it helps to at least know that there isn't some secret repository of additional docs I've failed to unearth. I'll give Monet a look. Thanks!

0 Kudos
tmilner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, VMware doesn't seem to like to document their generated events... When asked, the response is "look in the SDK reference". But when you read the reference the descriptions are at best terse.

My suggestion would be to right a simple utility to dump out the available events into some readable format. The code is pretty simple, like:

object o = client.getObjectProperty( client.getServiceContent().eventManager,

"description.eventInfo" );

foreach( VimApi25.EventDescriptionEventDetail detail in (VimApi25.EventDescriptionEventDetail[])o ) {

string[] tuple = new string[ 3 ];

tuple[ 0 ] = detail.key; // Id

tuple[ 1 ] = detail.category; // severity

tuple[ 2 ] = detail.fullFormat; // message

}

You'll end up with something like this: http://www.veeam.com/nworks/overview/data/vcEvents.html

Tom

0 Kudos