VMware {code} Community
firstpick
Contributor
Contributor

VADP & Avamar integration

Hello Everyone,

Recently  we implemented Avamar image backups for our virtual infrastructure. The  performance and features have been great, however managing this config  with Vsphere 5.0 Vcenter and Avamar 6.1 is really proving to be a chore  fraught with lots of ways for people to make mistakes. For instance in  our configuration we have 1 Vcenter instance supporting multiple sites  that each have a few a Avamar nodes. The problem that comes out of this  design is that Vcenter has to be registered on each domain which creates  an issue in preventing an admin from accidentally registering a VM on  multiple nodes or sites.

So  this is where automation would be great. I'd like to be able to query  Avamar using a powershell script which could then update a custom  attribute for a VM in VCenter. This way an admin could see in Vcenter if  a VM is registered with a node. The other idea I have would be to use  VMware Orchestrator to eliminate people creating clones, instead I would  like to have an Orchestrator workflow that could initiate an ondemand  backup in Avamar. The last thing I can think of would be a workflow to  automate registration of a new VM with a local Avamar node.

Has anyone tried any of the above? Is it possible with the existing API's? I did see a video from VMworld that talked about this, however I've not seen the cmdlets materialize yet.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bspindler
Contributor
Contributor

I'm currently out of the office and will return on Wednesday the 27th. If this is an emergency please contact Wayne Stewart wstewart@netuitive.com

0 Kudos