VMware {code} Community
Hakime
Contributor
Contributor

Using html or C# to manage Virtual machines.

I currently have two options.

To either use html or C# to create a GUI that allows me to manage virtual machines.For example,turning it off.

I am not very familiar with C# but will give it a try.Currently I'm having a hard time creating the GUI with Visual Studios(C#).

I have already done a GUI using html (notepad).

Is there anywhere that I can refer to the codes for managing virtual machines using html.

I only managed to find the management codes in C#.

Is there by any chance I can merge the html & C# codes together to manage the VMs?

"http://www.codeproject.com/KB/library/VMWareTasks.aspx"

I'm unsure if this link is useful.

I don't have ESX server or Virtual Center server & VMware workstation.

All I have is the VI client.

I'm new to virtualization and will greatly appreciate any tips/pointers given.

Thanks.

I have attached a file of my GUI in html.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to the VI SDK forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, DABCC Analyst
====
Now Available on Rough-Cuts: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment'
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'
SearchVMware Pro|Blue Gears|Top Virtualization Security Links|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
harkamal
Expert
Expert

VI Server Mgmt is webservice based, so it is language neutral. HTML is markup language and cannot leverage of VI's APIs available.

You could use any other language that you know -- asp/jsp/java/c#/vb.net

If you are starting up, then dont waste time learning anything else than c# --you will get loads of sample code on internet and jobs as well.

Hope I am able to address your question ?

HK

0 Kudos
Hakime
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

Can you explain more on how HTML is markup language and cannot leverage of VI's APIs available.

I'm curious to know the cause.Also In the SDK installation guide,it stated that beforeI get started with SDK,I need to have access to ESX & Virtual Center Servers.

I don't have access to any of these,except for VI client.Can I still manage and control virtual infrastructure?

I'm currently doing a proj that requires me to create a GUI that allows users to virtualize servers,SANS & network devices according to their needs.

I was told by my proj supervisor that I would require the VI SDK in order to do my proj.Without any ESX & Virtual Center servers,is it possible to see the end results of my proj?

The scenario of my end result is where users can create/manage virtual machines from the GUI.

Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
harkamal
Expert
Expert

Ok, lets go though your points one by one

1. HTML is just markup language. Can you use it to calculate 2+2 = 4 ? no right ? or could you Smiley Happy

So that means, html could be your front end, menus, checkboxes and all, and when you submit the form, the data has to be processed by a server side parser which could be java servlets/asp/cgi etc. So alone html will not help.

2. VI SDK -- provides you with framework/libraries/documentation/samples on how to program with VI.

3. If you have access to VI Client and can login to Virtual Center server, then this is enough to start programming.

4. In SDK directory, go to samples and see how "simpleclient" sample works. It connets to VI webservice and gets some basic inventory information.

5. So take the samples codes and you may use c# or any other language to build your dreams.

Good luck

harkamal
Expert
Expert

was my reply helpfull ? hit the helpfull or correct answer button...this is how this forum works !

hk

Hakime
Contributor
Contributor

Haha.

My apologies Harkamal.

I've been too busy with my project and asking around,I didn't even notice.

I just saw the impt info,and I'm back to my work.

0 Kudos