VMware {code} Community
maiios
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to customize IP information in Linux guest template

I am trying to use virtual center to deploy an Ubuntu machine, with the operating system type being set to otherLinux. I have to set it to otherLinux because if I say that it is an Ubuntu machine, it will not let me customize the IP information. I get the following error message:

Warning: Customization of the guest operating system 'ubuntuGuest' is not supported in this configuration. Microsoft Vista and Linux guests with logical volume manager are supported only for recent esx host and vmware tools versions. Please refer to virutal center

It cuts off after that, but we get the jist of it. If I set it to otherLinux, it lets me do the customization, but won't set the IP address information after I deploy the template. The customization log (/var/log/vmware-imc/toolsdeploypkg.log) goes through the customization and then has the following error.

DEBUG: uname -a :

ERROR: Fatal error occoured during customization !! Customization halted.

ERROR: Error : Customization Failure !! Unknow Linux/Unix distribution. at /tmp/.vmware/linux/deploy/scripts/LinuxDistroFunctions.pl line 60.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do any customizations work when you use this setup? The reason I ask

is the LVM bit. I assume to run the customization script it is

mounting the virtual disk and opening, or attempting to open, the file

system and inserting the LinuxDistroFunctions perl script listed in

the log you provided. If you are using LVM, it may not know how to

open the LVM volume. Does that make sense?

--

-a

"condensing fact from the vapor of nuance"

gpg pubkey: http://www.lostcreations.com/~akutz/akutz.gpg

lostcreations ca: http://www.lostcreations.com/lostcreations.com-ca.crt

0 Kudos
maiios
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, but I am getting that log our of /var/log and it is referencing the files required for customization. The things that seem strange to me are some of the errors that I see at the beginning.

================

1. Starting deploy pkg operation

/usr/lib/libDeployPkg.so loaded successfully

Found DeployPkg_DeployPackageFromFile

Deploying /tmp/7cc696b5/imc97.tmp

Initializing deployment module.

Cleaning old state file from tmp directory.

EXIT STATE INPROGRESS

Setting deploy error: Error removing lock /tmp/.vmware-deploy.INPROGRESS (No such file or directory)

EXIT STATE Done

Setting deploy error: Error removing lock /tmp/.vmware-deploy.Done (No such file or directory)

EXIT STATE ERRORED

Setting deploy error: Error removing lock /tmp/.vmware-deploy.ERRORED (No such file or directory)

Setting deploy error: Success.

Deploying cabinet file /tmp/7cc696b5/imc97.tmp.

Transitioning from state (null) to state INPROGRESS.

ENTER STATE INPROGRESS

Reading cabinet file /tmp/7cc696b5/imc97.tmp.

Creating directory /tmp

Creating directory /tmp/.vmware

Creating directory /tmp/.vmware/linux

Creating directory /tmp/.vmware/linux/deploy

Extracting package files.

Launching deployment /usr/bin/perl -I/tmp/.vmware/linux/deploy/scripts /tmp/.vmware/linux/deploy/scripts/Customize.pl /tmp/.vmware/linux/deploy/cust.cfg.

=======================================

I find that interesting because it is having trouble locking the files, and then it has no trouble creating directories. Based what I see, I am pretty sure that the virtual disk is being mounted and that it is able to mount the file system. But the issue has something to do with LVM. Obviously with the error that I posted in my first comment, VMware knows about the issue, but I could not find anything about it anywhere. And I can't imagine that I am the first person to try and have an Ubuntu machine's IP information configured for it.

I am just missing something.

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What is listed at line 60 of that script?

0 Kudos