VMware {code} Community
frank_wegner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

SDK for VC 2.5 with HTTP - Possible Documentation Bug

Hi,

I want to use the SDK for VC 2.5 Update 1. How do I modify the Server Configuration to Support HTTP?

The documentation SDK\doc\sdkinstallationguide.pdf says on page 14 to modify C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Vmware\VMware VirtualCenter\vpxd.cfg. It tells me to "Search through the vpxd.cfg file to locate the

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ssurana
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Frank,

Please refer to the following document "Developer’s Setup Guide" at http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk25pubs/visdk25setupguide.pdf

See the section "Modifying the Server Configuration to Support HTTP"

To modify the Web proxy service on VirtualCenter Server 2.5 to support HTTP

1 Log in to the VirtualCenter Server system as the Windows Administrator of the machine.

2 Change to the directory containing the proxy.xml file: c:\Documents and Settings\AllUsers\Application Data\VMware VirtualCenter

3 Use a text editor to open the proxy.xml file.

4 Find the section of the file associated with the /sdk.

5 Change the accessMode to httpAndHttps.

e.g.

6 Restart the VirtualCenter Service from a command line or from the Windows Services control panel.

Hope the above information helps.

~ Sidharth

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ssurana
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Frank,

Please refer to the following document "Developer’s Setup Guide" at http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk25pubs/visdk25setupguide.pdf

See the section "Modifying the Server Configuration to Support HTTP"

To modify the Web proxy service on VirtualCenter Server 2.5 to support HTTP

1 Log in to the VirtualCenter Server system as the Windows Administrator of the machine.

2 Change to the directory containing the proxy.xml file: c:\Documents and Settings\AllUsers\Application Data\VMware VirtualCenter

3 Use a text editor to open the proxy.xml file.

4 Find the section of the file associated with the /sdk.

5 Change the accessMode to httpAndHttps.

e.g.

6 Restart the VirtualCenter Service from a command line or from the Windows Services control panel.

Hope the above information helps.

~ Sidharth

0 Kudos
frank_wegner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Sidharth,

thanks for your helpful answer. So this proves that the documentation we ship with the SDK download package for VC 2.5 (SDK\doc\sdkinstallationguide.pdf) is definitely wrong. We should file an VMware internal PR to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks again,

Frank.

0 Kudos
kwiseth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please see the Release Notes for the VI SDK 2.5, which provides a link to completely updated documentation:

The "Installation Guide" was supplanted by the "Developer's Setup Guide." Unfortunately, the Installation Guide did not get deleted from the build. However, the Release Notes provide a link not only to each document, but to a downloadable zipfile containing replacement documentation. I'll add a note to the Release Notes about the Installation Guide, that it shoud be disregarded.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
frank_wegner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I have a much better idea: Just remove the wrong documentation from the build and provide the new build on our download page. This would fix the root cause. This is much better than keeping the wrong documentationin the build and updating release notes. Not all people read release notes.

0 Kudos
kwiseth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great idea, but I have no control over the existing build for the product--that ship has sailed, the product is available for download, and we're all working on new things. When the next version of the SDK ships, it won't include that stale file. If you want to continue this discussion, please do so using VMware internal email.

Thanks,

0 Kudos