VMware {code} Community
rodddd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question for the VMware company

I am developing a web client that will go into my company's product use to access Virtual Center. I plan to leverage the sample code provided in the SDK. Do I need a license or permission to leverage this code and use it in our product?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hrobinson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You should always check with your lawyer for these things. But the intent of the EULA is to allow 3rd parties to leverage the sample code and use it in their for sale products.

Henry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
hrobinson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Here is an excerpt from the SDK EULA:

You may not ... (3) modify, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, reverse compile, or disassemble the SDK, except that you may modify and create derivative works of the sample code and distribute the modified sample code in connection with Developer Software;

So the license specifically grants you the right to "create derivative works of the sample code and distribute the modified sample code in connection with Developer (your) software."

I hope this helps.

Henry Robinson

VMware Product Management

0 Kudos
rodddd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info. But i am not sure I understand you last sentence. Does this mean that we can develop code leveraged from

the sample code and incorporate it into our product that we sell. The customers would use it to create VMs on Virtual Center.

The customers would of course have to buy Virtual Center to use it.

0 Kudos
hrobinson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You should always check with your lawyer for these things. But the intent of the EULA is to allow 3rd parties to leverage the sample code and use it in their for sale products.

Henry

0 Kudos
rodddd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah. that is what I thought. It doesn't provide us anything except help customers use VMware product (meaning help

VMware sell more products :-).

Thanks

0 Kudos