VMware {code} Community
KyleT
Contributor
Contributor

Programatically Selecting VM for USB Connection

Before I dive head first into the API documentation I was wondering if this is possible.

Is it possible to programatically select which Virtual Machine will connect to a USB device?

For example I would run a script that said "Make VM12 Receive next connected USB device", then connect USB device.

Thank you,

Kyle

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ssurana
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Kyle,

Let me first tell you that the Virtual Machines you create inside the ESX does not support USB. i.e. in the hardware configuration you would not be able to add a USB device. However if you have a requirement of a USB device then then you can probably use some of the third party products (for e.g. AnywhereUSB, etc.) that can help you have a network based USB hub.

Hope you find the above information helpful.

~ Sidharth

0 Kudos
KyleT
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe I am misunderstanding your statement but I know for a fact that my VMs support USB. I simply have to manually add the USB device by clicking the Menu VM>Removable Devices>USB and selecting the one I want to add.

Please let me know.

0 Kudos
ssurana
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

I guess then you are not using the ESX server and probably using a hosted product like Workstation or VMware Server for your VMs. In that case, this is not the correct forum for your question as this forum is for questions on the Management APIs exposed by the ESX Server and Virtual Center Server.

~ Sidharth

0 Kudos