VMware {code} Community
ludwigkowalski
Contributor
Contributor

Problem understanding SDK EULA

Hi!

I have some problems understanding the following part of the vmware CIM SDK EULA:

"3. Restrictions: You may not use the SDK to design or develop anything other than Developer Software".

What does "Developer Software" mean? Is it allowed to develop a software using the CIM SDK an sell it?

Thanks in advance

Ludwig

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kurtkrems
Contributor
Contributor

That is actually a interesting statement they put in CIM SDK EULA. The only reason is because you do not need the CIM SDK to develop a CIM client to discover their provider. If your a novice in developing CIM based clients, it's a good start to go off their examples. But the most important piece in their SDK is the PDF documentation that describes their model and CIM extensions that go beyond any standard profiles(In-band Virtualization). Are your intentions to redistribute the SDK? If so, why? It really adds no value other than the documentation from a development perspective. I developed an open source SAN monitoring application that includes VMWare as part of its monitoring using CIM, www.storageim.com. You can download the source and take a look at the VMWare discovery.

0 Kudos
jnhall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It would be a good idea to contact one of our product managers (like Henry or Harvey) for clarification of any topics like this. The EULA is complex and doesn't make sense when you apply it to everything downloaded as part of the SDK, but exactly what applies to what, I think it would be better if you didn't guess.

0 Kudos
halcabes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Section 2 of the "VMWARE ® SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT KIT (SDK) AGREEMENT" (which is displayed when you download or install the CIM SDK and several of our SDKs), defines "Developer Software" as "software that communicates with VMware Software".

So yes, you are allowed to sell software that you have developed using the CIM SDK.

--Harvey

Harvey Alcabes

SDK Product Marketing Manger

VMware, Inc.

--Harvey Harvey Alcabes Product Manager VMware, Inc.
0 Kudos