Both Virtual Center and my ESX servers are reachable through HTTP and HTTPS. They show me the standard splash screen telling me I can use Web Access, Download the SDK, etc.
When I try a SOAP request to either of them however, I keep getting HTTP 531 or 565 responses. Nothing gets served (404) if I try https://my-esx-server/sdk or https://my-esx-server/?WSDL - same thing with Virtual Center. I've imported the WSDL from the SDK into SoapUI - SSL is not the issue, I have the server cert locally installed.
I read the SDK guide and it appears both ESX and Virtual Center should be "web services ready" right from the get go. Apparently mine aren't in violent agreement with the doc.
I took a look at /var/log/vmware/hostd.log and notice this for every SOAP request:
POST /sdk/vimService HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Jakarta Commons-HttpClient/3.0.1
By looking around, I found the wsdl. It's at https://whatever/sdk/vim.wsdl - however, the wsdl has no element (therefore no binding no port exists!) - I must be missing something, so I'll shut up now and wait for someone smarter than me to educate me.