VMware {code} Community
jesse_gardner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Newbie getting started.. VBScript to VC API?

I'm quite an experienced scripter but a sysadmin by trade, not a programmer. Web services are new to me. I'd like to use some API to gather very basic information from Virtual Center. Namely, what DRS cluster a particular VM resides in.

Optimally this would be achieved from a VBScript. Is this possible? If so, how? If not, what is the "easiest" (subjective and relative term, I know) method to gather such information? I'm not opposed to Perl or a VB.NET executable.

I started down the VBscript path, looking at the VI SDK, finding that WSH on XP can do soap calls, but didn't get very far, lots of errors. I may not have the right MS programs installed, or know where files should be placed...

Any assistance would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
esloof
Expert
Expert

Hi Jesse,

I would suggest that you visit my website http://www.ntpro.nl You will find a document describing how you can connect to the SDK with VB.NET.

Regards,

Eric Sloof

arent_t
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can do it all in vbscript, although its a lot easier to do it vb.net or any other dotNETlanguage... If you look through some of my posts in the archives you will find some examples on how to create SOAP envelopes, this should you started (althought these are probably 2.x examples).

If you can't find them back, I will send u some examples... but either way it might be worth spending some time in learning vb.net it's al lot easier ...

cmitch
Contributor
Contributor

So, does anyone have any examples using VBScript with VC 2.x and VI3?

I assume one could use the SDK with VBScript...

0 Kudos