VMware {code} Community
jfleming
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Newbie Question

Actually two questions:

1. Are there advantages for using the C#/Java toolkit vs the viper perl toolkit? Do the C#/Java kits provide more functionality?

2. Can you run the script directly against the ESX Server or do you need to run this against the Virtual Center Server?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jrackliffe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Not a perl dev in my consumption, but the perl helper lib is a big help for rapid development IMHO.

I do my dev in C# consuming the web services directly and I find it works very well. I had to write a number of helper functions for common tasks though.

To my knowledge you can do everything in Perl that you can do consuming the web services directly (either C# or Java).

I think your programming experience will be the deciding factor. I would say if you know perl and it fits your integration needs I would use the perl lib as it will make common tasks far easier until additional helpers are published by VMware.

J

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jfleming
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK- So I was able to run some of the sample perl scripts against the ESX Server directly and it looks like you can do this against the VC server as well. Any thoughts on the differences between the various options (i.e. Java,Perl,C#) would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
jrackliffe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Not a perl dev in my consumption, but the perl helper lib is a big help for rapid development IMHO.

I do my dev in C# consuming the web services directly and I find it works very well. I had to write a number of helper functions for common tasks though.

To my knowledge you can do everything in Perl that you can do consuming the web services directly (either C# or Java).

I think your programming experience will be the deciding factor. I would say if you know perl and it fits your integration needs I would use the perl lib as it will make common tasks far easier until additional helpers are published by VMware.

J

0 Kudos