VMware {code} Community
tmilner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Latency counters not supported for 5-minute summarizes?

When I retrieve the I/O latency counters for 5-minute summarizes I never retrieve any values... 5-minute summarizes also don't appear in the VI Client. Anyone know why that is? Are some counters only supported as real-time (i.e., 20-second interval counters)?

Tom

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tmilner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has anyone gotten the latency counters to work w/ 5-minute summaries?

Tom

0 Kudos
DougBaer
Commander
Commander

Maybe this will clear it up a little:

Information is collected on both the ESX host and the VirtualCenter systems for a 20-second sample interval and a 5-minute interval, retained for 1 hour and 1 day, respectively.

VirtualCenter maintains historical performance data for the 30 minute sample interval, 2-hour sample interval, and 1-day sample interval, which are retained for 1 week, 1 month, and 1 year, respectively -- for different counters, depending on the collection level.

You will want to look at Appendix A (pg 171) of the VI SDK Programming Guide for more information about the counters, values, and rollup types.

Doug

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23
0 Kudos
DougBaer
Commander
Commander

You know, I looked out there... what is the counter that you are using for latency?

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23
0 Kudos
tmilner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My bad...

I was trying to retrieve disk.totalWriteLatency.average and was pointing to a VM MOR, not a host MOR.

Tom

0 Kudos