VMware {code} Community
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

Latency Sensitivity Flag read back in PowerCLI and RVTools

We are looking to extract information from our systems for comparison against a baseline definition.

When we use RVTools to create a spreadsheet of all our VM configurations we started seeing failed checks for VM latency sensitivity setting. We looked at the RVTools output and were seeing random VMs with that field blank. Checking them manually we see values.

We thought initially that maybe a blank means default, i.e. NORMAL, however it has recently been reported to me that blank returns from RVTools have been found that should have come back as HIGH.

Another engineer workgin with me wrote a few lines of PowerCLI to harvest the system for the Latency Sensitivity setting, and this too returns blanks here and there too. So we assume that the problem lies not in RVTools itself but rather a common API being used by RVTools and PowerCLI.

Is there any information on what is happening here and whether or not this has been, or can be, fixed?

We are currently running a baseline config with vSphere 6.7u2.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Moved to the vSphere Management SDK community since this is obviously an API question/issue.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The same behavior is observed in 7.0.2

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

That's unfortunate. Is there a workaround that we can get Rob de Vej to adopt into RVTools, or in our own scripts?

Our own experiments suggest that a a script that goes through all VMs and sets the required value can help.

Rebooting VMs can sometimes help too.

As you can probably tell, we are developing a way to validate system installations against a baseline. If the generation of the system fingerprint cannot be trusted, then it makes the whole task rather challenging. Any idea why this happens?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Not really.
I suggest opening an SR

StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

I shall bother our TAM with it then. Thanks.

0 Kudos